Monday, August 20, 2012

A New Era


Since today is my daughter's 19th birthday, I might as well make this day the starting point. There's been Major Stuff since Aug. 1st but this is my first opportunity to really write since then. And actually that's just writing here; I have a couple of new journals started. Sooooo... I'm not feeling the need to be redundant. If someone wants to find my "Bloys Camp Meeting" journal or my worship journal, they're easy to find. (now at least!) I'm considering a new Shutterfly book: My First Camp Meeting. I definitely had/have a lot to say about the experience.

Most important of all in this time, was the opportunity to get to know my great aunt (my grandfather's sister) again. She and my Uncle Odell were such an important part of my childhood and I'm finally getting time to pay that back. (Odell passed away about 6 years ago.) Lil fainted the first night of Camp Meeting (so scary!) and when she returned to Manchaca, she caught pneumonia and ended up in the hospital. (Second time this year for that.) I stayed with her most of the first night in the hospital and visited a couple of days later. She even let me give her a quick back rub. And the conversation was priceless...

Because my grandmother had me most of the time when I was very little, I got to be a part of all of the social activities that Lil, my grandma, and their friends hosted. Most notable was the Birthday Club. The ladies would dress up, visit, drink coffee from delicate cups with saucers and daintily eat white sheet cake. I really loved those days. So did Lil. I might be one of the few people she knows who still remembers those days...everyone older had gone off on their own and my cousins were too little (and had mothers). It's so wonderfully awesome to see the Joy in Aunt Lil's eyes when she's remembering....

So why a New Era? A lot changed because of Camp Meeting, plain and simple. Plus, it's been just about a year since I made some sweeping changes and I'm just now really enjoying the benefits. It's hard to pull away from some people but it feels so absolutely wonderful to be completely disassociated from their ridiculousness. (Although I must confess that I sometimes take petty pleasure in seeing them look stupid...so I guess some things take longer to change. Tsk tsk)

So as you were, Cyper-Universe! Cyber-Self, don't be a Stranger. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home