Monday, February 06, 2012

Self-Adjustment





These quick "doodles" were fun. The original pics are of rice paper paintings I made for my studio windows down the Shore in Jersey. Beautiful light there.

My weekend was over-booked. I spent so much time out and about on Saturday (in cold, damp weather and/or steamy hat shop!) that I didn't do a damn thing on Sunday. Well...I did make it to church but only long enough to sing the anthem with the choir and then I split. It was nice to spend the day snuggled in.

Saturday (and actually part of late Friday night getting ready) was so long, it actually felt like a series of vignettes rather a continuous day. I hadn't seen most folks since before the holidays so it was really nice to share lots of hugs and kisses. It was equally nice to meet some new folks. I love where I live.

I did wake up today pondering a couple of concepts: 1) "fake it 'til you make it" and 2) simple things that always trump sophistication....

Some social behavior can definitely be "faked" until it can be "made" and is totally acceptable: confidence, patience, gregariousness, good manners. Given the brevity of most encounters, a superficial first impression is okay. Does the lady at the cash register really need to know what you think? Of course not but why not smile anyway? Personally, I'm patient in lines and have no hesitation with being friendly with strangers...(but I'm no dope either.)

Two attributes that can't be faked: sincerity and credibility. 'Feels a little apple-and-orange; I guess "sincere" is something you are versus "credible" which is more about others' opinions. Either way, if a person doesn't have both of those they are SOL with the general public AND their friends and family.

Sincerity does sometimes get confused with sensitivity and maybe some folks I know just don't want to appear weak? Or maybe they sincerely don't care! Either way, sincerity (or lack of) can be transparent... kinda seques into trust. Some of the most challenging personalities in my life are if anything, sincere, and that keeps us friends. I'd rather deal with someone who is irrationally sincere than someone who is rationally insincere. (brrrrrr!)

As for credibility, once you lose it, good luck earning it back.

If Life has allowed a person to be both sincere and credible in the eyes of those around them, those qualities trump education, age, status (mostly sort of), and even reputation.

Cyber-Self: The vignettes are actually snapshots that are forever saved in your memory; maybe someday you can write about them. 'Sorry you're feeling self-(blog)conscious. *sigh*

Punkin-Chunk: Poverty. It doesn't matter what's actually in the bank, it's how I feel about it.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home