Sunday, January 01, 2012

Early New Year's Day

I received an update from my friend whose mother-in-law is very sick. Our first correspondance is in entry, "Second to Last Entry of 2011":

"M**** not doing well. Pneumonia better, but heart very weak and her time with us is likely to be a few months at most a year. She is now receiving some rehab in hopes to improve strength a little bit. We are with her hubby, Bob's stepdad Dwight right now. Prayers for peace, strength and good decisions welcomed! Wishing you and Mark all the best for 2012!
xoxo"

My answer:

You too! Offer of "time outs" still stand.

And here's one thing that I feel like I'm meant to share:
I spent yesterday helping an elderly client put away her Christmas decorations. Her, her husband and I sing in the church choir. She paid me $5 an hour (bless her heart!) but they also took Mark and I out to lunch.

Before we ate, we joined hands and prayed. In public. I can't quite describe it except to say that having people look at us actually added to the power of it. I never ever saw people do this in Philly. It truly fills my heart and kinda blows my mind and my spirit...so...yummy?

Maybe its time (and for all I know you already do) to join hands as often as possible when these decisions need to be made. Join hands with her! Bless the situation so everyone can be open and honest and sad and anything they need to be...within the framework of his mother's desires. And remember there are phases in this process of dying (some potentially very challenging) which lead ultimately to acceptance which is so very beautiful to bear witness to. I know that my life has been shaped by this beauty in others.

And cry often as it's very very good for your health. <3"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home